Tinc power consuption

Raul Dias raul at dias.com.br
Wed Apr 24 14:12:11 CEST 2013

2013/4/24 Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org>

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:53:12PM -0300, Raul Dias wrote:> The battery
> reports a discharge rate of 14.2 W
> > System baseline power is estimated at 4.81 W
> >
> > Power est.    Usage     Device name
> >   10.1 W      4.6%        CPU use
> >   3.00 W      0.0 pkts/s  nic:swi
> >   141 mW     14.9 ops/s   GPU
> >   100 mW    246.9 pkts/s  Network interface: wlan0 (iwlwifi)
> >     0 mW    100.0%        Radio device: btusb
> >     0 mW    100.0%        Radio device: iwlwifi
>
> Hm. I don't think 3 Watts for a virtual device that does not exist at all
> in
> hardware is a trustworthy value. Especially if you have a usage of 0
> pkts/s. It
> could be that PowerTop thinks that it is a real Ethernet device, and just
> uses
> a default power consumption for it. Note that real Ethernet devices use
> quite a
> lot of power even when they are not sending actual data.

I agree.
I am wifi (100mW).
I believe that powertop is probably measuring something else.  the 14.2W is
real, though.
Interesting enough, if I enable vmware modules, the vmware network
interface is higher too, not as much.
That's why I think this might be kernel related.
(ubuntu 12.10 with latest updates - i7v2 sandy bridge hw)

-rsd