Tinc power consuption

Saverio Proto zioproto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 09:46:04 CEST 2013

Hello all,

Guus can you tell me if tinc uses openssl and AES algorithm ? (it is
realted to power consumption)

if yes some computers have a special hardware chip to make AES in
hardware, and might be the cause of power consumption ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set

try cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep aes

if there is the aes flag then you are doing probably aes in hardware
in openssl is compiled correctly to do this.
when you use this chip you might expect a bigger power consumption ?

read this paper, they do something else but they describe the SSL AES
stuff in detail
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~delaat/rp/2012-2013/p08/report.pdf

moreover reading this paper could help to make tinc faster :)

ciao,

Saverio