Tinc power consuption

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Apr 24 10:34:55 CEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:53:12PM -0300, Raul Dias wrote:

> powertop 2.1 here.
> but I bet this is the driver and not tinc, anyways.

Hm, I'll have to update my PowerTop then :)

> The battery reports a discharge rate of 14.2 W
> System baseline power is estimated at 4.81 W
>
> Power est.    Usage     Device name
>   10.1 W      4.6%        CPU use
>   3.00 W      0.0 pkts/s  nic:swi
>   141 mW     14.9 ops/s   GPU
>   100 mW    246.9 pkts/s  Network interface: wlan0 (iwlwifi)
>     0 mW    100.0%        Radio device: btusb
>     0 mW    100.0%        Radio device: iwlwifi

Hm. I don't think 3 Watts for a virtual device that does not exist at all in
hardware is a trustworthy value. Especially if you have a usage of 0 pkts/s. It
could be that PowerTop thinks that it is a real Ethernet device, and just uses
a default power consumption for it. Note that real Ethernet devices use quite a
lot of power even when they are not sending actual data.