Mac OS X and utun

Fredrik Wendt fredrik at wendt.se
Sat Jun 5 11:01:57 CEST 2021

Hi.

I have some 30+ Linux machines connected using tinc, which has served my
needs extremely well over the years - thank you! In general, I run a
"starfish" setup, with all nodes connecting to one center machine (and some
nodes do find each other locally). Some 15-ish years ago I ran OpenVPN to
connect machines in Spain with my machines in Sweden, but then discovered
tinc and found it so much more stable (with unstable wifi connections).

I'm now trying to add two Apple Silicon machines to this, and I'm catching
up on the changes around the OS no longer supporting kernel extensions (so
tuntaposx is no longer an option), and how some software (Tunnelblick)
works well with the OS' natively supported utun alternative.

I've not gotten tinc to work out of the box with utun. I've only tested the
version provided in the homebrew package (1.0.36), which I installed into
/opt/homebrew (the default when running the M1/arm64 version of homebrew).

The config I used was the same as on all other machines, with the exception
of DeviceType and Device:

root at mbam1 /opt/homebrew/etc/tinc/wendtvpn # cat tinc.conf
AddressFamily = ipv4
ConnectTo = mastermachine
Name = mbam1vpn
DeviceType = utun
Device = utun0

root at mbam1 /opt/homebrew/etc/tinc/wendtvpn # tincd -D --debug=8 -n wendtvpn
tincd 1.0.36 starting, debug level 8
Could not connect utun socket: Resource busy

Terminating

Before I go and start compiling things myself (and possibly try to debug
things), is this a route bound to end in a dead end? Is tinc known to work
with utun on Mac OS X Big Sur on M1/Apple Silicon (with or without Rosetta)?

Should I try with 1.1?
arm64 or i386/Rosetta?
Anything I need to enable (some magic scutil command or similar) to get
utun to work?

Thanks in advance for any reply and/or pointers!

/ Fredrik Wendt