Mac OS X and utun

Fredrik Wendt fredrik at wendt.se
Sun Jun 6 08:39:22 CEST 2021

I eventually got this to work, after fiddling with the configuration and
not following the documentation.

I always got the Resource busy error, when trying to use the utun
DeviceType, in these configuration combinations (these all failed):

> #No DeviceType specified
> Device = utun

> #No Devicetype specified
> Device = utun0

> DeviceType = utun
> Device = utun0

These configurations worked though:

> DeviceType = utun
> #No Device specified
> #This is the configuration I'm using now btw

> DeviceType = utun
> Device = utun2  # this happened to be the first free number

The manual says it should be enough to set Device, which obviously is what
I tried for some time:

> By default, tinc expects the tuntaposx driver to be installed. To use the
utun driver,
> set add Device = utunX to tinc.conf, where X is the desired number for
the utun interface.
> You can also omit the number, in which case the first free number will be
chosen.

https://www.tinc-vpn.org/documentation/Configuration-of-Darwin-_0028Mac-OS-X_0029-kernels.html

# tincd --version
tinc version 1.0.36
# file $(which tincd)
/usr/local/sbin/tincd: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

Hope this helps anyone else struggling to get tinc up on Mac OS X Big Sur
on M1/Apple Silicon. :-)

/ Fredrik