Cannot access other computers on LAN

Hamish Moffatt hamish at moffatt.email
Sat Jan 12 04:55:05 CET 2019

On 12/1/19 2:29 pm, Lars Kruse wrote:
> Hello
>

> Am Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:58:33 +0100
> schrieb Julien dupont <marcelvierzon at gmail.com>:
>
>> The two tunnels are working. From a client I can ping or ssh VPN_office on
>> both tunnel and LAN IPs 172.16.0.2 and 192.168.1.3. I cannot however ping
>> any other computer on the LAN, I get no pong back but it is not complaining
>> he has no route to host.
> wild guess: maybe the response fails to find its way back to the source?
> In this case you could either masquerade (SNAT) traffic when it leaves the
> tunnel at VPN_office or you could configure a suitable route on the default
> gateway of your network (this should work for all local hosts via ICMP
> redirects).

In my experience the ICMP redirects don't really work. I had TINC
running on a machine other than the default gateway at one node recently
and it was a major pain - I had to configure static routes on every
machine because the ICMP redirect just didn't work.

I since replaced the router (default gateway) with an OpenWRT setup with
TINC included and everything is much simpler.

Hamish