tinc 1.1pre. How to automatically start vpn tunnels? How to change the installation/config path to the same as tinc 1.0.x version from ubuntu repository?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Feb 12 18:25:04 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 07:02:29PM +0100, Håvard Rabbe wrote:

> I have compiled and installed tinc 1.1pre5 on a ubuntu machine.
>
> With the tinc 1.0.x version that is included in the ubuntu repository I am used to having the config files in /etc/tinc/  and where each vpn has a own directory.
> The file nets.boot placed in /etc/tinc where I can specify which vpn tunnels that is going to start automatically.
>
> How can I get the vpn tunnels to start automatically in the tinc 1.1pre5 version that I have compiled and installed my self?
>
> How can I change the installation path when I install 1.1pre5? Or is it maybe only config path I need to change?
> It now looks for config in /usr/local/etc/tinc
> I found out that it is probably something withe the "./configure --prefix=path" but I don't now what to type in to get the same location as in the tinc 1.0.x version.

You can write:

./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

This will configure tinc to read the configuration files from /etc/tinc, and
will put its PID file in /var/run, just like the Ubuntu package of tinc 1.0.x.
The binaries will then still be installed in /usr/local/sbin, so it will not
conflict with any package you have also installed.

I've attached the init script from the 1.1~pre4 package from Debian's
experimental repository. You should change the paths to tincd and tincctl to
match where they are installed.