Android GUI for tinc

Ivo Smits Ivo at UFO-Net.nl
Fri Sep 28 14:18:10 CEST 2012

Hi Vil,

Thanks for your answers. By the way, I noticed my battery drains much
faster when tinc is running? Not very surprising I guess, the traffic
from the other nodes will probably keep the 3G connection active a lot
more than usual.

Ivo

Op 26-9-2012 17:59, Vil Brekin schreef:
> 2012/9/25 Ivo Smits <Ivo op ufo-net.nl>:
>> Just a few comments:
>> - After stopping tinc, stop button text does not always change back to start
> Seems to be a GUI refresh bug. Did you stop tincd via the stop button,
> or killed it manually?
If I stop tinc via the Stop button, the button text does not change. If
I kill tincd manually (killall tincd), the button text changes to Start!
>> - Buttons look awfully simple and unaligned ;-)
> As you can see, I'm far from being an experienced GUI developer, and
> must tell this is not the most interesting part to me, as long as the
> buttons work. But I should imrpove this anyway.
I totally understand - don't worry about it.
>> - debug button does not seem to make a difference?
> It sends signal to the tinc daemon to switch it to debug mode (level
> 5), so only works when the daemon is started. I should as well disable
> it when it's stopped to avoid confusion.
Debug button does not change anything in the tincd output. Manually
sending SIGINT to tincd does activate level 5 debug mode, so I think the
signal is not sent. Tinc is running as root.
>> - tinc is looking for /dev/net/tun while my phone only has /dev/tun (might
>> be device specific? symlink or configuration directive fixes this)
> I personnaly use the "Device=/dev/tun" from the configuration file to
> specify which file to use.
Thanks, that works too. I don't know if it makes sense to change the
default for android builds?
>> - config file selection shows empty list for /data because /data is chmod
>> 771 by default, perhaps you can work around this by reading the directory as
>> root?
> Would be quite a pain, as I would have to parse command line results
> to browse directories (as you can only start sub-processes with root
> right, not get them on the main process).
> Anyway I advise using a folder in /sdcard, so you can update it easily
> from your computer.
I see. I tried to use /sdcard first, but I couldn't set the permissions
necessary to execute the tinc-up script (to configure the interface), so
that didn't work for me. I changed the permissions on /data to be world
readable.