Android GUI for tinc

Vil Brekin vilbrekin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:59:44 CEST 2012

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for your feedback.
Please see my comments below.

Rgds,

2012/9/25 Ivo Smits <Ivo at ufo-net.nl>:
> Hi Vil,
>
> Thanks! This is great - much better than having to fight with PPTP or
> similar. After installing the tun module (via "TUN.ko installer" app) and
> your tinc GUI, and getting the configuration right it worked pretty well on
> my Acer Liquid Mt S120.
>
> Just a few comments:
> - After stopping tinc, stop button text does not always change back to start
Seems to be a GUI refresh bug. Did you stop tincd via the stop button,
or killed it manually?

> - Buttons look awfully simple and unaligned ;-)
As you can see, I'm far from being an experienced GUI developer, and
must tell this is not the most interesting part to me, as long as the
buttons work. But I should imrpove this anyway.

> - debug button does not seem to make a difference?
It sends signal to the tinc daemon to switch it to debug mode (level
5), so only works when the daemon is started. I should as well disable
it when it's stopped to avoid confusion.

> - tinc is looking for /dev/net/tun while my phone only has /dev/tun (might
> be device specific? symlink or configuration directive fixes this)
I personnaly use the "Device=/dev/tun" from the configuration file to
specify which file to use.

> - config file selection shows empty list for /data because /data is chmod
> 771 by default, perhaps you can work around this by reading the directory as
> root?
Would be quite a pain, as I would have to parse command line results
to browse directories (as you can only start sub-processes with root
right, not get them on the main process).
Anyway I advise using a folder in /sdcard, so you can update it easily
from your computer.

> - I forgot that I had to use the tinc-up script for IP address
> configuration, my bad. You could perhaps create a nice GUI which creates the
> tinc-up script, tinc.conf and local node configuration/keys.
I've been thinking about it, but it would be quite a lot of work as
well, and I'm not sure this is really useful to the
 tinc users: indeed, for me the easiest solution is still to build the
configuration on the target computer, and copy it on the phone.
BTW, it seems it's already scheduled to simplify tinc's configuration
process in future releases, so it might be a duplicate task...