How to improve the throughput

Masateru KUWATA masateru_kuwata at activemail.jp
Sun Jan 17 14:09:16 CET 2010

Guus

Thanks for your kind advice.

I have quickly tested the ProcessPriority option, but unfortunately, I
cannot see the improvement with this option.

FYI, my tinc is 1.0.11.

Regards

--- "Guus Sliepen" <guus at tinc-vpn.org> ---

>On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 09:14:11PM +0900, Masateru KUWATA wrote:
>
>> I have been using OpenVPN for several years and found tinc as a
>> simpler/scaler VPN using TUN/TAP device.
>
>Thanks!
>
>> I have tried to use tinc on WindowsXP and measured throughput in
>> contrast to OpenVPN.
>>
>> My test revealed that tinc is faster in PING response (almost half of
>> OpenVPN). However, when I tested with iperf, tinc's throughput is about
>> half of OpenVPN.
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to tune the throughput of tinc.
>
>First of all, make sure you run the latest version of tinc. Then, you
can tune
>is the priority of the tincd.exe process. You can either set that by
hand in
>the Task Manager, or use the ProcessPriority option in tinc.conf. A high
>priority is likely to improve the throughput of tinc, but I do not know
if it
>will reach the same performance is OpenVPN.
>
>Tinc uses the select() and related system calls to handle network
events. This
>is implemented on many operating systems, including Windows, so it
keeps the
>code very generic and portable. However, the implementation of these
portable
>system calls on Windows is not so efficient as Windows' native system calls
>(using overlapped IO and WaitForMultipleObjects()). If someone is
interested it
>would be nice to see if he or she can create a patch to let tinc use
Windows'
>native interface, and then to see what effect this has on performance.
>
>--
>Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
>     Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org>

Masateru KUWATA
Computer & Communications Consulting
Phone: 070-5465-6505(Domestic)/+81-70-5465-6505(Oversea)
Mobile mail:masateru_kuwata at wm.pdx.ne.jp
Profile: http://www.geocities.jp/mki_ltd/page002.html
BLOG : http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mki_ltd/MYBLOG/