How to improve the throughput

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Jan 17 13:41:30 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 09:14:11PM +0900, Masateru KUWATA wrote:

> I have been using OpenVPN for several years and found tinc as a
> simpler/scaler VPN using TUN/TAP device.

Thanks!

> I have tried to use tinc on WindowsXP and measured throughput in
> contrast to OpenVPN.
>
> My test revealed that tinc is faster in PING response (almost half of
> OpenVPN). However, when I tested with iperf, tinc's throughput is about
> half of OpenVPN.
>
> I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to tune the throughput of tinc.

First of all, make sure you run the latest version of tinc. Then, you can tune
is the priority of the tincd.exe process. You can either set that by hand in
the Task Manager, or use the ProcessPriority option in tinc.conf. A high
priority is likely to improve the throughput of tinc, but I do not know if it
will reach the same performance is OpenVPN.

Tinc uses the select() and related system calls to handle network events. This
is implemented on many operating systems, including Windows, so it keeps the
code very generic and portable. However, the implementation of these portable
system calls on Windows is not so efficient as Windows' native system calls
(using overlapped IO and WaitForMultipleObjects()). If someone is interested it
would be nice to see if he or she can create a patch to let tinc use Windows'
native interface, and then to see what effect this has on performance.