Bridging on os x

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Apr 12 21:44:57 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:54:04AM -0500, David Hieber wrote:

> tinc-up (networkA)
> #!/bin/sh
> ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.1.253 netmask 255.255.255.0

Did you make those scripts executable?

> The 253 and 252 ip addresses are unused, we just picked them out of a
> hat so to speak. I'm not sure if that's the right way to select those
> ips or not.

Since you're bridging, the computers running tinc already have an IP address in
the 192.168.1.0/24 range, you don't need to use new addresses.  Also, how are
you bridging tinc's network interface with your LAN interface?

> With this setup we can connect without any errors, but I can't ping
> any of his machines nor can he ping any of mine. We get the host not
> found or no route to host error when trying to ping.

If your LAN has the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, and tinc-up executes, you have two
interfaces both with the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. The kernel will then look at
the routing table to decide where to send packets for 192.168.1.252 and .253
to, and it will probably select the LAN interface. Since no computer on the LAN
has those addresses, you get a host not found message.

For bridging on Linux you have to create a bridge device and connect two (or
more) network interfaces to it. I do not know how bridging works on MacOS/X,
maybe someone on the mailing list knows, or you have to Google for it.