Bridging on os x

David Hieber david at hieber.net
Sun Apr 12 17:54:04 CEST 2009

Hello,
I've been trying to get bridging working on os x for about a week and
haven't been able to do it. I've exhausted the examples and google and
just can't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm about
to give up :(
The goal is to join our two 192.168.1.x networks and share a large
192.168.1.x network between the two of us.

Our setup is as follows:

Networks A and B both have their internal range set to 192.168.1.x and
there are no conflicting ip addresses between the two networks.
Running os x on both networks as the tinc machines.

(files edited for readability)

tinc.conf (networkA)
Name = networkA
Device = /dev/tap0
Mode = switch
PrivateKeyFile = /usr/local/etc/tinc/vpn/rsa_key.priv
ConnectTo = networkB

tinc.conf (networkB)
Name = networkB
Device = /dev/tap0
Mode = switch
PrivateKeyFile = /usr/local/etc/tinc/vpn/rsa_key.priv

tinc-up (networkA)
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.1.253 netmask 255.255.255.0

tinc-up (networkB)
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.1.252 netmask 255.255.255.0

The 253 and 252 ip addresses are unused, we just picked them out of a
hat so to speak. I'm not sure if that's the right way to select those
ips or not.

hosts/networkA
Address = networkA outside ip address
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

hosts/networkB
Address = networkB outside ip address
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

With this setup we can connect without any errors, but I can't ping
any of his machines nor can he ping any of mine. We get the host not
found or no route to host error when trying to ping.

Help! Please!
Dave