Bridging on os x

David Hieber david at hieber.net
Sun Apr 12 21:58:10 CEST 2009

On Apr 12, 2009, at 2:44 PM, Guus Sliepen wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:54:04AM -0500, David Hieber wrote:
>
>> tinc-up (networkA)
>> #!/bin/sh
>> ifconfig $INTERFACE 192.168.1.253 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> Did you make those scripts executable?

Yes, they are 755

>> The 253 and 252 ip addresses are unused, we just picked them out of a
>> hat so to speak. I'm not sure if that's the right way to select those
>> ips or not.
>
> Since you're bridging, the computers running tinc already have an IP
> address in
> the 192.168.1.0/24 range, you don't need to use new addresses.
> Also, how are
> you bridging tinc's network interface with your LAN interface?
Ok, so you are saying the ip address in the tinc-up script should be
the same as the tinc machine. Is this correct?

We aren't running anything to create a bridge manually. The brctl
tools were only referenced in the Linux part of the documentation and
aren't in Fink, so I guess I was hoping that it just handled itself.
(wrong...)

>> With this setup we can connect without any errors, but I can't ping
>> any of his machines nor can he ping any of mine. We get the host not
>> found or no route to host error when trying to ping.
>
> If your LAN has the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, and tinc-up executes, you
> have two
> interfaces both with the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. The kernel will then
> look at
> the routing table to decide where to send packets for 192.168.1.252
> and .253
> to, and it will probably select the LAN interface. Since no computer
> on the LAN
> has those addresses, you get a host not found message.

Ok, I was suspecting that it had something to do with the routing from
the ping errors. Everything comes up fine but we just couldn't find
each other on the network.

> For bridging on Linux you have to create a bridge device and connect
> two (or
> more) network interfaces to it. I do not know how bridging works on
> MacOS/X,
> maybe someone on the mailing list knows, or you have to Google for it.

Yes, I'll try googling that because I'm a little lost on that part of
the documentation. Networks and bridging aren't my strong points.
However if I can get this to work I'll be happy to write up an os x to
os x example for others to follow and send it in.