[Announcement] Version 1.0 released

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Mon Aug 4 20:36:05 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:22:59AM -0700, Jason wrote:

> I wasn't able to find much documentation about what windows virtual network
> driver we are expected to use with tinc 1.0.  I have been using the one in
> the disk1 directory of CIPE-Win32-2.0-pre15.zip .. is that appropriate?

Yes.

> I've had one or two issues with it where the ip addr was not being set
> properly.. i had to disable and reenable the interface to get it working
> properly..  Should I perhaps try the driver that the openvpn guys have
> released with their latest windows-supporting beta?

tinc should also work with the driver from the OpenVPN guys, because it
has exactly the same API. If you use the CIPE driver, you could also try
to run "cipsrvr remove" and see if that helps.

Are you using Windows 2000 or XP?

> I've been using it today on my windows laptop.. its been very nice :)  . .
> but it has crashed a few times.  I get a "tincd-1.0-windows-i386-static.exe
> has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the
> inconvenience." followed by the "please tell Microsoft about this problem"
[...]
> How can I go about providing
> any useful info to use in tracking down the problem?  I am using the
> precompiled win32 binary from the tinc website (which appears to be the
> native version, since I don't have cygwin installed on this box).

You could start tinc with "tincd -d10 --logfile=C:\tinc.log" or
something like that, and send us the logs from when it crashes.

You could also try to install MinGW and compile tinc yourself, maybe
that could make a difference.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>