[Announcement] Version 1.0 released

Jason jason+tinclist at truedesign.com
Thu Aug 14 21:23:24 CEST 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Guus Sliepen wrote:

> > I wasn't able to find much documentation about what windows virtual network
> > driver we are expected to use with tinc 1.0.  I have been using the one in
> > the disk1 directory of CIPE-Win32-2.0-pre15.zip .. is that appropriate?
>
> Yes.

Silly me, I just noticed that you are providing a windows "package"
installer that includes a tap driver (its from the openvpn project, right?).
I missed that when 1.0 first came out and I was doing it all by hand (using
just your precomiled static binary)

> Are you using Windows 2000 or XP?

Win XP SP1

> > I've been using it today on my windows laptop.. its been very nice :)  . .
> > but it has crashed a few times.  I get a "tincd-1.0-windows-i386-static.exe
> > has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the
> > inconvenience." followed by the "please tell Microsoft about this problem"
> [...]
> > How can I go about providing
> > any useful info to use in tracking down the problem?  I am using the
> > precompiled win32 binary from the tinc website (which appears to be the
> > native version, since I don't have cygwin installed on this box).
>
> You could start tinc with "tincd -d10 --logfile=C:\tinc.log" or
> something like that, and send us the logs from when it crashes.

BTW, I could not get the --logfile option to work at all (the debug msgs
stopped going to the console, but I could not find any log file where it was
writing the data to, even when I explicitly passed a path/name like in your
example.  This was with 1.0.1. I didn't try with 1.0.

But I did watch the console messages while I disconnected from the network.  It
appears to crash right after it tries to resolve the remote hosts' domain
names.  I then reran tinc with the network disconnected and same thing.. it
crashes right after it tries the first dns resolution and fails:

C:\PROGRA~1\tinc>tincd.exe -n tdvpn -d10 -D
tincd 1.0.1 (Aug 14 2003 15:16:54) starting, debug level 10
{4B61EDD3-D203-4F65-BD6F-B96B2FECDDCF} (tdvpn) is a Windows tap device
Tap reader running
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Listening on 0.0.0.0 port 655
Ready
<pause for several seconds>
Error looking up titan.truedesign.com port 655: no address associated with
hostname.
<crashes immediately after printing the above line>

I temporarily changed the Address lines in the host config files from DNS to
IP addresses and the crashing problem seems to have disappeared.

I hope that helps track down the bug.

BTW, is the "'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external
co...." error from tinc trying to run a tinc-up script?  I made my vpn
related windows routes persistent so I don't use a tinc-up but I saw that
msg several times while running tinc with -D.

Jason

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/