[Announcement] Version 1.0 released

Jason jason+tinclist at truedesign.com
Mon Aug 4 20:22:59 CEST 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Guus Sliepen wrote:

> With much pleasure we announce the release of version 1.0. Here is a
> summary of the changes:
>
> * Lots of small bugfixes and code cleanups.
>
> * Throughput doubled and latency reduced.
>
> * Added support for LZO compression.
>
> * No need to set MAC address or disable ARP anymore.
>
> * Added support for Windows 2000 and XP, both natively and in a Cygwin
>   environment.

This is great news.. thanks again, guys :-)

I wasn't able to find much documentation about what windows virtual network
driver we are expected to use with tinc 1.0.  I have been using the one in
the disk1 directory of CIPE-Win32-2.0-pre15.zip .. is that appropriate?
I've had one or two issues with it where the ip addr was not being set
properly.. i had to disable and reenable the interface to get it working
properly..  Should I perhaps try the driver that the openvpn guys have
released with their latest windows-supporting beta?

I've been using it today on my windows laptop.. its been very nice :)  . .
but it has crashed a few times.  I get a "tincd-1.0-windows-i386-static.exe
has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the
inconvenience." followed by the "please tell Microsoft about this problem"
stuff.  It happened the first time after i came out of hibernation on a
different network than when i hibernated. that was when tinc was in tcponly
mode.  then later this morning when I was in udp mode, we lost our building
network connectivity to the world a couple of times.  both times, tinc
crashed shortly after we lost connectivity.  How can I go about providing
any useful info to use in tracking down the problem?  I am using the
precompiled win32 binary from the tinc website (which appears to be the
native version, since I don't have cygwin installed on this box).

Jason

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/