[SOLVED] Re: Getting at a machine behind a ISDN router

Carlos Sousa csousa at tvtel.pt
Mon Nov 11 20:11:55 CET 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:52:47 +0100 Carlos Sousa <csousa at tvtel.pt> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:19:18 +0200 Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 11:43:49PM +0100, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> >
> > > Pinging the client machine (10.0.2.1) from the server machine (10.0.1.1)
> > > and running iptraf on the server shows traffic between the 2 machines,
> > > both ways, but the packets are still lost. I smell a routing problem
> > > concerning the echo-reply packets that are arriving at server, but I can't
> > > see where.

Appears to have been a stupid newbie mistake on my part. On the "server"
I run /etc/init.d/tinc start|stop manually or at boot, but on the
"client" the same command is run by a cron job, and the problem seems to
be that PATH is not correctly set and the ifconfig commands in tinc-up
are not executed.

What stumped me was that tinc couldn't care less that there is no interface
for it to send or receive vpn data. Even at debug level 10 the logs only
showed whether there was any contact between tincs, no mention of any
failure to actually *use* the vpn. Perhaps this could be changed in
further releases?

Cheers,

--
Carlos Sousa