[SOLVED] Re: Getting at a machine behind a ISDN router

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Mon Nov 11 22:06:29 CET 2002

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 07:11:55PM +0000, Carlos Sousa wrote:

> What stumped me was that tinc couldn't care less that there is no interface
> for it to send or receive vpn data. Even at debug level 10 the logs only
> showed whether there was any contact between tincs, no mention of any
> failure to actually *use* the vpn. Perhaps this could be changed in
> further releases?

There is an interface, it just hasn't been assigned an IP address and
brought up yet by ifconfig. The only thing tinc does is connect several
of these interfaces together using encrypted tunnels. Everything beyond
that (including the actual configuration of the interfaces) is up to
yourself. This gives you a lot more flexibility than it would if tinc
would control the configuration of the interface. So this won't be
changed in any further release. You should have noticed a warning in the
logs though (process ... exited with non-zero status ...).

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>