Tinc config problem

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Sun Feb 25 21:11:17 CET 2001

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 02:52:04PM -0500, gabe w wrote:

> I fairly new to Linux, and I'm trying to set up Tinc on my Linux box.
> However I got stuck at the following point in the documentation:
> "....
> The actual setup of the ethertap device is quite simple, just repeat after me:
>         ifconfig tap_n_ hw ether fe:fd:00:00:00:00
>
> Now, this is obviously not what I have to type to the command prompt,
> although, I'm not ashamed to say, that I tried this, too. These are the
> commands that I also tried:
>
>     ifconfig tap0 hw ether fe:fd:00:00:00:00     # /dev/tap0 being the device file I had created w/ mknod
[...]
> , all of which resulted in the message:
>     SIOCHIFHWADDR: No such device

> I'd really apreciate if anyone could tell me what the actual command should look like.

It should be like the first line you typed. However, the error message
suggests that your kernel does not support the ethertap device. You must have
a kernel with the ethertap device compiled in or as a module. It is explained
in the documentation.

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/