[Announcement] Tinc version 1.1pre12 released

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Apr 24 14:16:01 CEST 2016

With pleasure we announce the release of tinc version 1.1pre12. Here is
a summary of the changes:

* Added a "--syslog" option to force logging to syslog even if running
  in the foreground.
* Fixes and improvements to the DecrementTTL function.
* Improved PMTU discovery and UDP keepalive probes.
* More efficient relaying of UDP packets through intermediate nodes.
* Improved compatibility with newer TAP-Win32 drivers.
* Added support for UPnP.
* Allow tinc to be compiled without LibreSSL or OpenSSL (this drops
  compatibility with nodes running 1.0.x).
* Added a "fsck" command to check the configuration files for problems.
* Tinc "start" now checks whether the daemon really started succesfully,
  and displays error messages otherwise.
* Added systemd service files.
* Use the recvmmsg() function if available.
* Support ToS/Diffserv on IPv6 connections.
* Updated support for BSD tun/tap devices.
* Added support for OS X utun interfaces.
* Dropped support for Windows 2000.
* Initial support for generating a tinc-up script from an invitation.
* Many small fixes, documentation updates.

Thanks to Etienne Dechamps, thorkill, Vittorio Gambaletta, Martin
Weinelt, Sven-Haegar Koch, Florian Klink, LunnarShadow, Dato Simó,
Jo-Philipp Wich, Jochen Voss, Nathan Stratton Treadway, Pierre Emeriaud,
xentec, Samuel Thibault and Michael Tokarev for their contributions to
this version of tinc.

Please note that although tinc 1.1pre12 is backwards compatible with
tinc 1.0.x, it is NOT compatible with tinc 1.1pre1 through 1.1pre10.

Starting with tinc 1.1pre12, the Windows installer now provides both 32
bit and 64 bit binaries, and will automatically install the right ones
for your computer. Please note that you might need to move your existing
tinc configuration files from "C:\Program Files (x86)\tinc" to
"C:\Program Files\tinc".

The new protocol used in tinc 1.1 is mostly stabilized now, so that
means I will probably release an 1.1.0 soon. There is still a lot of
things that are on my TODO list for tinc 1.1, but most of it can be done
after an 1.1.0 release.