Tinc as a router

Benjamin zorlin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 10:07:56 CEST 2015

Hey there,

So I have two Amazon EC2 instances (micro) running tincd. Each is running
dnsmasq to provide a dhcp server for tinc users.

Their configuration looks something like this:

[tinc1:/etc/tinc/tincnet/tinc.conf]

Name = tinc1

AddressFamily = ipv4

Interface = tun0

Mode = switch

ConnectTo = tinc1

ConnectTo = tinc2

[tinc1:/etc/tinc/tincnet/hosts/tinc1]

Address = 10.100.250.100

Subnet = 172.31.1.1/32

[tinc1:/etc/tinc/tincnet/tinc-up]

#!/bin/sh

ifconfig $INTERFACE 172.31.1.1 netmask 255.255.0.0

[tinc1:/etc/dnsmasq.d/devnet-dhcp]

interface=tun0

bind-interfaces

# Dynamic IP range

dhcp-range=172.31.1.11,172.31.1.254,24h

The VPN works great - I simply add a new user's pubkey to
/etc/tinc/tincnet/hosts on each of the two boxes, then they can connect and
send traffic to any host on the VPN (each with an IP like 172.31.14.13).

Next question is... how do I go from this setup to a "router"/"bridge" like
setup? I would like to ultimately use this to allow access to some internal
networks with IPs like 10.100.250.0/24 through the VPN, but I have no idea
how to actually build that just yet.

Thanks for any consideration and thanks for reading this far :)
~ Benjamin