Tinc as a router

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Mon Jul 27 18:10:10 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 4:07 AM, Benjamin <zorlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> how do I go from this setup to a "router"/"bridge" like setup?

If 10.100.250.0/24 is assigned by EC2, and you want to route that
network through Tinc, then you will not get the desired result.  The
paravirtualized interface is unbridgeable, and the gate between nodes
usually filters traffic involving unrecognized MAC or IP addresses.

I've tried this kind of configuration at Azure and EC2, but only had
good results at places like Linode that accommodate private network
customization for small accounts.  The best solution at most cloud
hosts is to keep all user-facing services inside Tinc.

Past that, use any Linux routing tutorial.  Traffic on Tinc interfaces
can be routed like physical interfaces.  Start with a front-end like
UFW that makes the initial ip_forward configuration easy.