Some questions about SPTPS

Sandy McArthur Jr sandy at mcarthur.org
Tue Aug 12 23:52:30 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 08:58:14AM -0400, Sandy McArthur Jr wrote:
>
> > Personally, I would like to see more fallback methods such as listening
> on
> > multiple ports with protocol encapsulation (HTTP Proxy Connect
> tunneling) .
>
> Would it make sense for tinc to support HTTP Proxy Connect for incoming
> connections? Normally it's something you use for outgoing connections,
> and that is already implemented (Proxy = http ...). But for outgoing
> connections there is no way tinc could autodetect which proxy to use.

Sorry, I didn't know/check that Tinc already can be configured to use
HTTP's CONNECT. Maybe not the best example. There is WPAD but I've only
ever seen it in use in once place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Autodiscovery_Protocol

> If you want to support incoming connections on port 80 or 443 for
> example, you can add multiple ListenAddress statements with different
> port numbers to tinc.conf. Or run a multiplexing frontend like sslh[1].
>
> If, for some reason, you are forced to only use proper HTTP requests,
> then maybe you mean something like BOSH[2]?
>
> [1] http://www.rutschle.net/tech/sslh.shtml
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOSH

I have had an intent to setup sslh but haven't as my home Tinc server (my
gateway) isn't also my home webserver.

Reading the manual, I see tincd.conf can have multiple BindToAddress
entries, can a host's config have multiple Port entries? The manual doesn't
read as such:
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/documentation-1.1/Host-configuration-variables.html#index-Port

I'm speaking from a time where I was in a hospital visiting in-laws and
unable to connect with the provided wifi to my home via Tinc or ssh because
of their firewall. It's not really Tinc's fault I didn't anticipate the
limits of my connectivity

--
Sandy McArthur, Jr.

"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
- Letters and Other Writings of James Madison (1865), Vol. IV, p. 491