Some questions about SPTPS

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Aug 12 22:15:45 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 08:58:14AM -0400, Sandy McArthur Jr wrote:

> Personally, I would like to see more fallback methods such as listening on
> multiple ports with protocol encapsulation (HTTP Proxy Connect tunneling) .

Would it make sense for tinc to support HTTP Proxy Connect for incoming
connections? Normally it's something you use for outgoing connections,
and that is already implemented (Proxy = http ...). But for outgoing
connections there is no way tinc could autodetect which proxy to use.

If you want to support incoming connections on port 80 or 443 for
example, you can add multiple ListenAddress statements with different
port numbers to tinc.conf. Or run a multiplexing frontend like sslh[1].

If, for some reason, you are forced to only use proper HTTP requests,
then maybe you mean something like BOSH[2]?

[1] http://www.rutschle.net/tech/sslh.shtml
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOSH

> The more situations Tinc works without me having to think about it post
> setup, the more value it provides to me.

That's something I certainly will keep in mind :)