graphviz

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Dec 27 12:34:12 CET 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 02:38:33PM +0100, folkert wrote:

> > [...]
> > > It's probably all there, it is just hard to read as it is so much.
> > > So if it can represented in a web-page with a nice layout that would be
> > > great.
> > Could you make an example or mock-up of such a layout?
>
> Something like:
>
> http://vanheusden.com/dump/tinc-html.php

Ok. I agree this is more readable than the output from tincd -kUSR2 (1.0) or
tinc dump nodes (1.1). But it would not be hard to add column alignment and
colors to tinc 1.1's command line interface, or have it output the data in a
structured format (JSON?) or somehow configurable (using a format string). That
way it can be used as the building block for a web app, but doesn't have to be
a web server itself.

> > Tinc also doesn't keep track of whether LocalDiscovery had any influence on a
> > direct connection or not, at the moment the only way to figure that out is to
> > check the address used for UDP traffic.
>
> So it is not static, that is unfortunate as it will make debugging more
> difficult - what node gave the (e.g. forwarding) problem?

Yes. I think the best information about problems is contained in the full log
output.  I'll try to think of a way to improve the diagnostics though.