Problems pinging PC on tunnel

Jeroen Vriesman linuxificator at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:00:47 CET 2008

Hi,

this is the idea:

you have two machines in differen subnets e.g. :

machine 1: 10.20.40.0/24
machine 2: 10.20.41.0/24

When running tinc, you make a network "10.20.0.0/16", connected to the
virtual device.

Now, the virtual interface can have the same ip address as the physical
interface on each machine, yes, really, two interfaces on the same machine,
with the same ip address, just a different netmask.

so you get the following routing:

machine 1:
10.20.40.0/24 -> physical interface
10.20.0.0/16 -> virtual interface
with ip address for both interfaces e.g. 10.20.40.1

machine 2:
10.20.41.0/24 -> physical interface
10.20.0.0/16 -> virtual interface
with ip address for both interfaces e.g. 10.20.41.1

cheers.