Problems pinging PC on tunnel

Viktors Žilinskis viktors.zilinskis at vianova.lv
Thu Mar 27 14:43:54 CET 2008

Hello!

I have set up tunnel between a FreeBSD machine and Windows Vista. Tunnel is
established, but when I try to ping either end ping fails. I have
temporarily switched off firewalls on both machines, no luck.

Here is client tinc.conf on Vista:
Name = lenovo_client
ConnectTo = lenovo_server
Interface = tinctap
Subnet = 10.20.40.0/24

Sevrer tinc.conf on FreeBSD:
Device=/dev/tap0
Name=lenovo_server
PrivateKeyFile=/usr/local/etc/tinc/lenovo/rsa_key.priv

Client host file:
Compression=9
Subnet = 10.20.40.0/24
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

Server host file:
Compression=9
Subnet=10.20.40.0/24
Address=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

Entry in tinc-up on server side:
ifconfig $INTERFACE 10.20.40.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Tap interface properties set in Vista:
IP = 10.20.40.2 Subnet = 255.255.255.0

Unfortunately I'm not strong in networking and have been unsuccessfully
struggling with this setup for whole day. I want to make a simple tunnel
between these two PCs and later maybe add some more so that they think
they're in same network. IMHO they should be in one network when tunnel is
established, server having ip 10.20.40.1 and client 10.20.40.2. When I try
to ping them respectively I got 100% loss or host is down messages. What's
wrong?

Best Regards,
Viktors

--