Problems pinging PC on tunnel

Mike Bentzen mike at goodlook.com.au
Thu Mar 27 15:05:16 CET 2008

Hi,

It looks like you've tried to follow the Windows example on the tinc
website.

Viktors Žilinskis wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have set up tunnel between a FreeBSD machine and Windows Vista.
> Tunnel is established, but when I try to ping either end ping fails. I
> have temporarily switched off firewalls on both machines, no luck.
>
> Here is client tinc.conf on Vista:
> Name = lenovo_client
> ConnectTo = lenovo_server
> Interface = tinctap
> Subnet = 10.20.40.0/24 <http://10.20.40.0/24>
The subnet entry should not be in the tinc.conf file, so that line can
be removed.

> Sevrer tinc.conf on FreeBSD:
> Device=/dev/tap0
> Name=lenovo_server
> PrivateKeyFile=/usr/local/etc/tinc/lenovo/rsa_key.priv

Looks fine.
> Client host file:
> Compression=9
> Subnet = 10.20.40.0/24 <http://10.20.40.0/24>
> -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
> -----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

Okay, so because you only want a single address, change it to:
Subnet = 10.20.40.2/32

> Server host file:
> Compression=9
> Subnet=10.20.40.0/24 <http://10.20.40.0/24>
> Address=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
> -----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
Change the subnet line to:
Subnet = 10.20.40.1/32

> Entry in tinc-up on server side:
> ifconfig $INTERFACE 10.20.40.1 <http://10.20.40.1> netmask
> 255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>
>
> Tap interface properties set in Vista:
> IP = 10.20.40.2 <http://10.20.40.2> Subnet = 255.255.255.0
> <http://255.255.255.0>
These are both alright.
> Unfortunately I'm not strong in networking and have been
> unsuccessfully struggling with this setup for whole day. I want to
> make a simple tunnel between these two PCs and later maybe add some
> more so that they think they're in same network. IMHO they should be
> in one network when tunnel is established, server having ip 10.20.40.1
> <http://10.20.40.1> and client 10.20.40.2 <http://10.20.40.2>. When I
> try to ping them respectively I got 100% loss or host is down
> messages. What's wrong?
Also, the command: tincd -n <networkname> -D -d5 will help you in the
debugging process.

> Best Regards,
> Viktors

Good Luck,