strange speed issue

Samuel Graenacher samuel.graenacher at ch.sauter-bc.com
Wed Jan 3 15:20:15 CET 2007

> 1. Increase the priority of the tincd.exe process.

Seems to make no difference.

> 2. Use Mode = switch.

Tried that meanwhile, no difference.

> 3. Try to install a newer TAP-Win32 driver from OpenVPN, just use the
>    Windows installer from http://openvpn.net/download.html.

Tried that meanwhile, upgraded the driver to the one from the ovpn beta,
no difference.

> 4. Fiddle with the advanced properties of the TAP-Win32 driver.

Good idea. I'll have to play some more with these but there's not too
many things to set. On some openvpn list I've noticed James mentioned
that these symptoms could be caused by wrongly sized buffers somewhere
between or inside the tap-win32 driver and tincd. But there's no
documented setting to influence any of them outside the source yet from
what I can tell.

Meanwhile I've tried the same setup between linux boxes and I'm reaching
sane speeds (2.5MB/s) with untweaked settings, so it looks like I'll be a
happy tinc user after all. :)

>> P.S. On an unrelated note, is the graphviz writer built into the
>> windows
>> binary? I can't seem to get it to create a file.
>
> Yes it is, although I didn't test it on Windows.

Ok, I'll try to play with possible pathnames some more then.

Thanks for the answers. Probably going to end up using non-windows boxes
for this project but I'll keep the test setup around should you need
someone to test possible fixes.

---
Samuel Graenacher
CIT / System Administration
Fr. Sauter AG
http://www.sauter-controls.com

DISCLAIMER:
This communication, and the information it contains is for the sole use of
the intended recipient. It is confidential, may be legally privileged and
protected by law. Unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of any part
thereof may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error,
please destroy all copies and kindly notify the sender.