strange speed issue

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Jan 3 14:15:22 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:33:33PM +0100, Samuel Graenacher wrote:

[6-9 MB/s LAN, 20-40 kB/s tinc]

> These speeds can't be normal for tinc over a lan link, can they?
> Are there any known speed problems with the windows client?
> I'm pasting some of the relevant config files, it's a really basic
> scenario. I'd appreciate any ideas or tips how to release the breaks.

No, it's not normal. However, more people have reported slow speeds
under Windows. I don't use Windows myself, but I did install it on a few
Windows machines and I have seen better speeds. So I guess it works OK
for some but is bad for others. Things you should try (and report their
success or failure of) are:

1. Increase the priority of the tincd.exe process.
2. Use Mode = switch.
3. Try to install a newer TAP-Win32 driver from OpenVPN, just use the
   Windows installer from http://openvpn.net/download.html.
4. Fiddle with the advanced properties of the TAP-Win32 driver.

> P.S. On an unrelated note, is the graphviz writer built into the windows
> binary? I can't seem to get it to create a file.

Yes it is, although I didn't test it on Windows.

> P.P.S. I realize someone else just recently made a similar post in this
> list, but I decided to make a new one since my problem here is not
> limited to TCPonly.

That's OK.