strange speed issue

Samuel Graenacher samuel.graenacher at ch.sauter-bc.com
Tue Jan 2 14:33:33 CET 2007

Hello,
I'm trying to connect some windows machines together using tinc 1.0.6.
The basic connectivity (ping) works fine as expected. But I'm getting
really poor speeds over the tinc tunnel. The test machines are on the
same switch and get values ranging from 6-9 MBytes/s speaking directly to
each other. However over the tinc tunnel the speeds are in the range of
20-40 kbytes/s. The machines itself have plenty of horsepower and the
tinc process barely reaches 1% cpu usage with 99% being idle. The result
stays the same when I set "Compression = 0" or "Compression = 10" in all
host files. Same goes with or without "TCPOnly = yes", no relevant speed
difference.
Tests are done using netio (both tcp and udp), ftp and even windows
filesharing.

These speeds can't be normal for tinc over a lan link, can they?
Are there any known speed problems with the windows client?
I'm pasting some of the relevant config files, it's a really basic
scenario. I'd appreciate any ideas or tips how to release the breaks.

Below are some of the host files:
HostA:
 Address = 10.1.100.152
 Subnet = 192.168.75.10/32
 Compression = 0
 -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
 (snip)
 -----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

HostB:
 Address = 10.1.100.16
 Subnet = 192.168.75.20/32
 Compression = 0
 -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
 (snip)
 -----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

tincd.conf (of HostA):
 Name = HostA
 ConnectTo = HostB
 Interface = mynet

HostA's tap device is configured as 192.168.75.10/24
HostB's tap device is configured as 192.168.75.20/24

netio -s (on HostB)
netio -t 192.168.75.20 (on HostA)
TCP connection established.
Packet size  1k bytes:  21883 Byte/s Tx,  2593 Byte/s Rx.
Packet size  2k bytes:  26800 Byte/s Tx,  4648 Byte/s Rx.
Packet size  4k bytes:  35699 Byte/s Tx,  11597 Byte/s Rx.
Packet size  8k bytes:  37288 Byte/s Tx,  478 KByte/s Rx.
Packet size 16k bytes:  40295 Byte/s Tx,  10347 Byte/s Rx.
Packet size 32k bytes:  41915 Byte/s Tx,  11552 Byte/s Rx.
Done.

netio -b 16k -u 192.168.75.20 (on HostA)
UDP connection established.
Packet size 16k bytes:  40873 Byte/s (99%) Tx,  1898 KByte/s (16%) Rx.
Done.

ftp and cifs transfers are within the same speed ranges roughly.

P.S. On an unrelated note, is the graphviz writer built into the windows
binary? I can't seem to get it to create a file.

P.P.S. I realize someone else just recently made a similar post in this
list, but I decided to make a new one since my problem here is not
limited to TCPonly.

---
Samuel Graenacher
CIT / System Administration
Fr. Sauter AG
http://www.sauter-controls.com

DISCLAIMER:
This communication, and the information it contains is for the sole use of
the intended recipient. It is confidential, may be legally privileged and
protected by law. Unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of any part
thereof may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error,
please destroy all copies and kindly notify the sender.