how to build complete standalone "tincd"

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Jan 3 14:24:14 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 03:12:29PM -0800, jhuang321 wrote:

> I'm new to tinc. I have built tincd for Linux FC5. I also have an embedded Linux platform to deal with.
> I'm unable to build tincd directly on embedded linux, due to compiler missing/incompatible etc. issues.
>
> So I wish to build a standalone tincd on Linux FC5, and just ftp this single executable over to
> embedded linux and use it. How to do that? Right now when I ftp tincd to embedded and run it, it
> says many libs (e.g. libcrypto.so etc.) are missing.

You have to make sure the binary is statically linked. You can do that
for example by doing:

./configure <your usual configure options> LDFLAGS=-static
make

You probably also want to compile optimized for size and generate a
stripped binary:

./configure <your usual configure options> CFLAGS="-Os -fomit-frame-pointer" LDFLAGS="-static -s"
make

Another option is to copy libcrypto.so and the other missing libraries
to your embedded platform.