Connection Nodes

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at neenet.com
Wed Oct 20 03:01:28 CEST 2004

Hello All,

I have been looking over Tinc & VPE for a project and really like what I
have seen in Tinc.

In the VPE documentation, I came across:
*connect = ondemand|never|always|disabled *

Sets the connect mode (default: always). It can be always (always try to
establish and keep a conenction to the given host), never (never
initiate a connection to the given host, but accept connections),
ondemand (try to establish a connection on the first packet sent, and
take it down after the keepalive interval) or disabled (node is bad,
don't talk to it).

An am interested in Tinc has something like this as I do not want it to
try to make connections to the other nodes unless "ondemand".

What  I am needing is that a node starts up and waits for connections.
Then the user from that node can initiate a connection with another node
or another node can initiate a connection to the first server. The
reasoning is that in some vpn lists there may be many many nodes in the
config file and I do not want the initial node to spend so much time
maintaining connections that are not being currently used and are just
listed in the config file. The connections in that config file might get
used from that host, but a user on that host would not be connecting to
all of them and surely not at the same time statistically only a few of
the available connections will be used  by any one user host.

Cheers,
Lonnie