Connection Nodes

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Wed Oct 20 10:40:35 CEST 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:01:28PM -0500, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I have been looking over Tinc & VPE for a project and really like what I
> have seen in Tinc.
>
> In the VPE documentation, I came across:
> *connect = ondemand|never|always|disabled *
[...]
> An am interested in Tinc has something like this as I do not want it to
> try to make connections to the other nodes unless "ondemand".
>
> What  I am needing is that a node starts up and waits for connections.
> Then the user from that node can initiate a connection with another node
> or another node can initiate a connection to the first server. The
> reasoning is that in some vpn lists there may be many many nodes in the
> config file and I do not want the initial node to spend so much time
> maintaining connections that are not being currently used and are just
> listed in the config file. The connections in that config file might get
> used from that host, but a user on that host would not be connecting to
> all of them and surely not at the same time statistically only a few of
> the available connections will be used  by any one user host.

Tinc has no ondemand option, but on the other hand, you don't have to
tell tinc to connect to each of the hosts you might want to talk to. For
example, if you have three tinc daemons, A B and C, and A is connected
to B, and B to C, then A will automatically also be able to talk to C
directly.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>