[Announcement] Tinc version 1.1pre11 released

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 17:55:49 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Lance Fredrickson
<lancethepants at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wanted to pop in and say I think 1.1pre11 is a really good release.
> I have a couple nodes behind a work firewall (sonicwall) over which I have
> no control.  Previously nodes always fell back to TCP, and the connection
> was unusable. Now it always connects over UDP and works like it did before
> they put in the new sonicwall.
>
> The change to ED25519 keys is nice too.  The benchmarks performed on my
> RT-N16 embedded linux device show much higher numbers, and over double
> theoretical throughput.  I still need to test real-world performance, but it

Cool!

> looks very promising.  Allowing tinc to run without RSA keys is a very big
> bonus for us embedded device users. We have a limited amount of nvram space
> for storage (tomato firmware).  RSA keys took up quite a bit, so being able
> to run using only ED25519 makes tinc very appealing for this platform, and
> saves tons of space for more nodes or other things.
>
> Great release and thanks for your work!

I am going to start fiddling with this release over the next quarter as well.

* Would anyone care for udplite support? Adding it is easy (mostly
done already), but there isn't a whole lot of point (aside from my
research into what protocols can be carried end to end in the ipv6
era).

* There MAY be some linux kernel work into a better virtual tunneling
device coming up.

* I am pretty hot on the "add fq and codel" to a vpn daemon idea, is
anyone else interested in pursuing that with me?

> Lance

Dave Täht

thttp://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Upcoming_Talks