[Announcement] Tinc version 1.1pre11 released

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Jan 13 17:26:55 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 08:55:49AM -0800, Dave Taht wrote:

> I am going to start fiddling with this release over the next quarter as well.
>
> * Would anyone care for udplite support? Adding it is easy (mostly
> done already), but there isn't a whole lot of point (aside from my
> research into what protocols can be carried end to end in the ipv6
> era).

There is not much point in supporting UDP Lite. It just allows corrupted
packets through, but they would be discarded by tinc anyway because the
message authentication code would not be correct anymore. I doubt there
are any other benefits.

> * There MAY be some linux kernel work into a better virtual tunneling
> device coming up.

What would really help is to have a way to read/write multiple packets
from/to the tun device in one system call. The tun driver actually has
support for sendmmsg()/recvmmsg(), however this functionality is not
exposed to userspace. Either do that, or perhaps add a flag so that
readv()/sendv() on a tun device treats every struct iovec as a complete
packet, instead of doing scatter/gather for a single packet.

> * I am pretty hot on the "add fq and codel" to a vpn daemon idea, is
> anyone else interested in pursuing that with me?

The only point where tinc buffers packets is when sending them via TCP.
This could perhaps be improved. But normally tinc will try to send
everything directly via UDP.