[Announcement] Tinc version 1.1pre11 released

Lance Fredrickson lancethepants at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 16:10:48 CET 2015

Just wanted to pop in and say I think 1.1pre11 is a really good release.
I have a couple nodes behind a work firewall (sonicwall) over which I
have no control.  Previously nodes always fell back to TCP, and the
connection was unusable. Now it always connects over UDP and works like
it did before they put in the new sonicwall.

The change to ED25519 keys is nice too.  The benchmarks performed on my
RT-N16 embedded linux device show much higher numbers, and over double
theoretical throughput.  I still need to test real-world performance,
but it looks very promising.  Allowing tinc to run without RSA keys is a
very big bonus for us embedded device users. We have a limited amount of
nvram space for storage (tomato firmware).  RSA keys took up quite a
bit, so being able to run using only ED25519 makes tinc very appealing
for this platform, and saves tons of space for more nodes or other things.

Great release and thanks for your work!

Lance