Tricky VPN Configurations

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Dec 9 09:32:00 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 11:02:24PM -0500, md at rpzdesign.com wrote:

> The self contained example is tricky because I created 4 ip-address on
> the eth0 device (192.168.1.30/31/32/33) so I could test a 4 node VPN
> that lives entirely within a single server.

That's quite hard to do, it's far easier to run four instances of tinc
on four different ports on the same machine.

> But the tinc command line utility is written assuming a single host with
> a single reference instead of 4 hosts stuffed into a single
> /etc/tinc/netname directory.

The "netname" does not have to be the same on all nodes of a VPN. It
is merely a quick way to tell tinc where its configuration data lives
and how to name the VPN interface. So in your self-contained example,
use four different netnames.

If you don't like this, then you should properly simulate four different
machines on a single one, either using containers (like LXC) or full
virtualisation (like KVM).