Tricky VPN Configurations

md at rpzdesign.com md at rpzdesign.com
Tue Dec 9 05:02:24 CET 2014

The use cases that I outlined in the use case examples pdf file are
pushing my limits of understanding the documentation as contained in the
1.1pre9 PDF manual.

The self contained example is tricky because I created 4 ip-address on
the eth0 device (192.168.1.30/31/32/33) so I could test a 4 node VPN
that lives entirely within a single server.

But the tinc command line utility is written assuming a single host with
a single reference instead of 4 hosts stuffed into a single
/etc/tinc/netname directory.

And this use case is a stepping stone to the multi data center setup
that requires route add commands so that local vpn traffic does on the
private eth1 interface while the wan vpn traffic exits on the eth0
interface to the outside internet.

My goal is to organize both use cases so other users can get started
with a ready to go set of files to download and run.

The process is a bit confusing since the NETNAME and DEVICE and COMPANY
in the examples are a bit confusing.

Thank you anybody for your assistance in this matter.

Marco