Tricky VPN Configurations

md at rpzdesign.com md at rpzdesign.com
Tue Dec 9 13:10:15 CET 2014

Guus:

Thanks for the reply.

Did you like the PDF examples?

Do you want to help me build more examples for the web site so people
can download the PDF network diagrams and have sample config files to
match them?

What changes should I make to allow for easier setup/config/config
files of the 2 use cases?

For the production example, would it be better to run each data center
on its own class C  (Netmask 255.255.0.0) and then the routing
commands to allow the local tincd daemon to just send the packets

On the self contained example, I planned to run 4 instances of TINC.

I could run them in 4 different directories with netnames

/tinc1/conf/netname/
/tinc2/conf/netname/
/tinc3/conf/netname/
/tinc4/conf/netname/

Is there a way to run tinc without regard to netnames?

/tinc1/tincd --config=/tinc1/conf
/tinc2/tincd --config=/tinc2/conf
/tinc3/tincd --config=/tinc3/conf
/tinc4/tincd --config=/tinc4/conf

/tinc1/conf/
/tinc1/conf/hosts

/tinc2/conf/
/tinc2/conf/hosts

/tinc3/conf/
/tinc3/conf/hosts

/tinc4/conf/
/tinc4/conf/hosts

I am having some difficulty understanding how the device=/dev/net/tun
relates to the ConnectTo= and the binding address since I want tincd
to bind to the VPN ipaddress and not bind to 0.0.0.0

My software can communicate with tincd via the bound VPN address.

Your answers appreciated,

marco