Windows TAP driver issues

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Tue Jan 16 22:01:14 CET 2018

Hi Todd,

I did some tests with NDIS 6 TAP-Windows about three years ago. The outcome
of that was https://github.com/gsliepen/tinc/pull/73/commits/
0c010ff9fe50b4046b5c7977bafac3e74037f075

It was a long time ago and I don't remember the details, but I remember I
was quite confused because I couldn't explain why OpenVPN did not seem to
exhibit any performance issues on the same driver, even though the code
paths around device I/O looked very similar. In the end I gave up because
I'm not familiar enough with Windows driver development to investigate any
further.

Note that in order to make the NDIS 6 drivers work reliably with tinc, I
first had to mess with tinc a bit, see https://github.com/gsliepen/
tinc/pull/71 - I'm not sure these patches made it to the 1.0 branch, so you
might want to stick to tinc 1.1 for your testing. Even with these fixes, as
I explain above the performance is still problematic.