Windows TAP driver issues

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at sudo.ws
Tue Jan 16 18:34:25 CET 2018

While I'm aware that tinc is known to have problems with the latest
Windows TAP driver (NDIS 6), we want to run tinc on Windows server
2016 which doesn't support NDIS 5 drivers.  Since using the old
version of the TAP driver is not an option, I'd like to better
understand the issues with tinc and the NDIS 6 TAP driver.

Can anyone point me to a discussion of the known issues?  From
experience it seems like the driver has problems immediately after
tinc is started and sometimes falls over when there is a lot of
traffic.  The suggestions from the OpenVPN folks are generally
things like increasing the MTU but this has not had much effect in
my testing.

I'm planning to familiarize myself with NDIS drivers so I can try
and improve the current state of affairs but I don't have prior
experience writing NDIS drivers.

Thanks!

 - todd