Tinc at startup Debian 8 Jessie

Jip de Beer jip.de.beer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 14:12:30 CET 2018

Dear Guus,

Thanks for the reply.
I still run into some issues.
Because the repositories host an older release (1.0.24-2.1+b1) of Tinc, I decided to build and install the Tinc 1.0.33 release.

On a fresh install of Debian 8 I’ve done the following:

cd /tmp/
wget http://tinc-vpn.org/packages/tinc-1.0.33.tar.gz
tar xvzf tinc-1.0.33.tar.gz

apt-get install libssl-dev zlib1g-dev liblzo2-dev build-essential automake autoconf gettext texinfo

cd tinc-1.0.33
./configure && make && make install

mkdir -p /usr/local/var/run/

No problems with building and Tinc works.
As you can see I didn’t choose any directory to install Tinc into (/usr/local vs /usr/sbin/).
That just happend by default.
So I’d expect that the contents of files like tinc at .service, which are supposed to be part if the installation, also follow the default installation paths.

I tried to change /usr/sbin/tincd to /usr/local/sbin/tincd inside /lib/systemd/system/tinc at .service like you say but there’s nothing there.
I’m still unable to launch Tinc on system startup.
Could you help me out?

Including these instructions in the manual would be a great addition :)

Best regards,
Jip