Tinc at startup Debian 8 Jessie

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sat Jan 6 17:46:39 CET 2018

On Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 05:14:47PM +0100, Jip de Beer wrote:

> How do I make Tinc auto start on Debian 8 Jessie?

Jessie uses systemd by default, so normally you'd have to tell systemd
to start tinc automatically. The tinc package that comes with Debian
provides the systemd service files necessary, however:

> I’ve compiled and installed the latest stable release tinc-1.0.33 and I’ve tried this:
>
> nano /usr/local/etc/tinc/nets.boot

There are two problems here: the systemd service files don't read
nets.boot, and if you installed tinc in /usr/local, then the systemd
service files that come with tinc (both from the official Debian package
and the 1.0.33 tarball) assume that the tincd binary is installed in
/usr/sbin/.

> Should work according to:
> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-tinc-and-set-up-a-basic-vpn-on-ubuntu-14-04 <https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-tinc-and-set-up-a-basic-vpn-on-ubuntu-14-04>

Ubuntu 14.04 is much older than Debian jessie, and doesn't use systemd,
so the instructions about nets.boot are not appropriate for your system.

> Also tried:
>
> systemctl enable tinc
> systemctl enable tinc at vpnname

That's the correct way. However, you may have to edit the file
/lib/systemd/system/tinc at .service, and change /usr/sbin/tincd to
/usr/local/sbin/tincd.

> What’s the official recommended way to run Tinc at startup on Debian?
> Can’t find anything mentioned about this in the documentation.

You're right, I'll add a section about it in the manual.