What's the weight means in the dump of edge info from USR2?

Bright Zhao startryst at gmail.com
Thu May 11 09:29:48 CEST 2017

> On 11 May 2017, at 1:46 PM, Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 08:03:02AM +0800, Bright Zhao wrote:
>
>> 1. This weight is not the one specified in Subnet, this should be something related to the host, where can I manually configure this?
>
> Either in tinc.conf, then it applies to all connections made, or in
> individual host config files, then it applies only to connections with
> that host.

I checked tinc 1.1 documentation, I couldn’t find any weight configuration in Main configuration(tinc.conf), instead, I found weight in the hosts configuration, is this the one you referred to which apply to all connections? looks not likely

>> 2. The weight value is ONLY take round trip latency as the measurement, or including CPU power and other factors into consideration?
>
> It takes into account the total time for doing the authentication
> between two peers. That is not just latency, but also how fast the nodes
> can do cryptography.
>
>> 3. I don't know how this Weight named, but let's say it Path-weight; So in 1.1, tinc will first evaluate Subnet-weight, and if certain route have the same Subnet-weight, they will compare the Path-weight for deciding which path to forward(if direct not possible, and same hops to the destination)?
>
> Tinc separately determines the final destination of a packet, and how to
> route to that final destination. Subnet-weight is used for the former,
> and path-weight for the latter.
>
>> 4. When will 1.1 been released as official version?
>
> I'm afraid my past predicitions have been meaningless, so I can't answer
> this.

No worries, I should bring the context of 1.0 earlier to avoid this misunderstanding, but i’m interested for the new features you introduced to me, i may get onto 1.1 quite soon.