What's the weight means in the dump of edge info from USR2?

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu May 11 07:46:12 CEST 2017

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 08:03:02AM +0800, Bright Zhao wrote:

> 1. This weight is not the one specified in Subnet, this should be something related to the host, where can I manually configure this?

Either in tinc.conf, then it applies to all connections made, or in
individual host config files, then it applies only to connections with
that host.

> 2. The weight value is ONLY take round trip latency as the measurement, or including CPU power and other factors into consideration?

It takes into account the total time for doing the authentication
between two peers. That is not just latency, but also how fast the nodes
can do cryptography.

> 3. I don't know how this Weight named, but let's say it Path-weight; So in 1.1, tinc will first evaluate Subnet-weight, and if certain route have the same Subnet-weight, they will compare the Path-weight for deciding which path to forward(if direct not possible, and same hops to the destination)?

Tinc separately determines the final destination of a packet, and how to
route to that final destination. Subnet-weight is used for the former,
and path-weight for the latter.

> 4. When will 1.1 been released as official version?

I'm afraid my past predicitions have been meaningless, so I can't answer
this.