Concept clarification between multiple ConnecTo and multiple netname

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Mon May 1 12:39:02 CEST 2017

If you have multiple ConnectTo statements in your tinc.conf, then tinc will
attempt to establish connections with *all* of them. It is not a fallback,
though it is a good idea for every node to have at least two direct
connections for improved resiliency and fault tolerance.

As to whether you should have just one tinc network or multiple networks,
well, that depends on what you're trying to accomplish and whether you want
isolation between these networks. If all your nodes are meant to be part of
the same VPN (i.e. same address space) and are part of the same trust
domain (i.e. they all trust each other equally), then it's simpler to have
them be in the same tinc network - that will simplify configuration and it
will result in smarter routing decisions.

If you are setting up individual tinc networks that only have two nodes in
them, then tinc is overkill - you might as well use something simpler like
IP/IP, GRE, OpenVPN or other "point-to-point" VPN solutions. tinc's purpose
is to build a reliable, self-routing VPN out of a large mesh network of
nodes; it makes little sense to use it for simple point-to-point
connections.