tinc 1.1 - import

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Mar 7 18:30:10 CET 2017

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:51:18PM +0300, Yazeed Fataar wrote:

> I have been testing the "import" function in tinc. It works great however
> there is one thing I need help doing. When I import the RSA keypairs from
> multiple devices into a tinc node using the import , the last RSA key pair
> data is not saved. I only get a blank host file. For example
>
> *Hub*
> :~#Tinc -n <netname> import
> name = site 1
> --- <begin rsa pub key ---
> --- <end rsa pub key ---
> name = site 2
> --- <begin rsa pub key ---
> --- <end rsa pub key ---
> name = site 3
> --- <begin rsa pub key ---
> --- <end rsa pub key ---

After ending the input, tinc should say something like:

Imported 3 host configuration files.

Does this message appear and is the number correct? Note that tinc is
quite strict in how the input should be formatted: each host block must
start with "Name = ", with that exact capitalization and spacing. If it
does not, it doesn't see it as the start of a new block, and if there is
a valid block before it, that probably means everything will be appended
to that previous block instead.

I guess I should improve the parsing so it allows certain deviations :)

> At the end I hit "Ctrl-D" to get out of the session , and then when I check
> the hosts files site 3 has nothing written to it and its blank. What is the
> correct method of exiting out of the "import" standard input?

Ctrl-D is correct. If it still doesn't work, then do:

cat >data

And enter the import data like you would otherwise, end with Ctrl-D and
send me that file, so I can have a look at it.