Question to Configuration File:

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Sep 4 10:40:29 CEST 2015

On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 09:28:01AM +0200, MA2412 at gmx.de wrote:

> Hello! I have a question to the hosts file. There can be multiple Subnet
> definitions in the hosts files, so i expected that according to theese subnets
> routing will be configured automatically but this is not true. Routing must be
> configured by the tinc-up/tinc-down or host-up/host-down scripts. So my
> question, why i have to configure the Subnets in the hosts file and what
> effect do they have?

The routing you configure using the -up/-down scripts is for the kernel.
You basically tell it to send packets with certain destination IP
addresses to tinc's virtual interface. However, tinc then has to figure
out to which peer it has to forward those packets. If you only have two
tinc nodes in your VPN, it might seem redundant, but if you have more
than two it should be clear that you have to tell tinc somehow where to
send packets to. That is what you do with the Subnet statements.